Please seek travel advice as soon as you know your travel plans, in order to obtain protection in time.
If you plan to travel outside Europe for longer than two weeks or, to visit several countries, or to do adventure activities, or to backpack, then you may require some vaccinations that are not provided free on the NHS.
It may, therefore, be better to book your initial consultation with a private travel clinic such as the one in Southernhay, Exeter, tel: 01392 430590 or with one of the local pharmacies that offer travel advice.
These provide advice and the recommended vaccinations for a fee.
We can offer limited travel advice and if indicated, can provide the following NHS vaccinations:
- Hepatitis A vaccine
- Typhoid vaccine- when available
- Diphtheria, tetanus and polio combined vaccine
However we no longer routinely provide the following vaccinations:
- Hepatitis B
- Tick borne encephalitis
- Japanese encephalitis
- Yellow Fever
Advice for holiday planning:
You can find the most up to date advice on travel vaccination on the following web sites:
Information for patients planning to travel:
- If you think that you need further advice and /or vaccinations, please complete the questionnaire and make an appointment with the practice nurse for the travel clinic.
- Please make an appointment in plenty of time - it may take several weeks to complete a course of vaccinations, and some vaccines have to be ordered. Allow 2-3 months for complex itineraries.
- You will be advised at the first consultation of the costs involved – the vaccine is then ordered on receipt of payment from you.
- We are unable to offer theYellow Fever vaccination. The nurse will advise you of local yellow fever vaccine centres. If you do have this vaccination, please notify your GP’s secretary of the date, so that she can then update your record at the surgery.
- You may require booster vaccinations – advice will be given as to the time scale of these and any additional costs involved.
Medications for Malaria:
These will be prescribed on a private prescription. The pharmacy will then charge the full cost of the medication.
IMPORTANT Please bring to your appointment:
- List of previous vaccinations & dates given (if known) or any vaccination record cards that you may have.